Up to 28 places in Year 7 will be allocated to children resident in the Colchester area at the time of application who are identified as having a proven aptitude in Music as determined by the school’s aptitude test.
Return the SIF Form by October 4th 2019. Tests/auditions will then be scheduled and concluded so that parents can be notified of the outcome prior to the 31st October 2019. [More Info]
Musical aptitude may involve any of the following:
• A flare for music as demonstrated by practical performance and listening skills. Applicants may have had no formal training but would like to pursue the subject and have clear potential for doing so.
• Applicants may have received music tuition in a music as evidenced by accredited or have accredited qualifications but these aren’t essential to prove aptitude.
• Applicants may have membership of a school, Church or similar orchestra for example, or other musical organisation.
The Gilberd School Music Aptitude will assess the following:
• An aural (listening) test with multiple choice answers, followed by an audition (that is assessed in-house) that could last anything up to 1 hour.
• Candidates will be rank ordered by aggregate scores of the aural test and audition.
• Supplementary evidence may be submitted to support your child’s application: This may include QCA accredited qualifications such as ABRSM (Associated Boards of the Royal Schools of Music) or Trinity College certificates or Rock School qualifications however, these will only affect rank order in the event of 2 candidates having identical scores.
All tests/auditions will be held at the school in October 2018 and students will be ranked according to their aggregated score in the criteria above. Applicants successful in gaining a place would be expected to pursue the subject through the curriculum and to attend at least one music club/ensemble. Students would also be expected to participate in school performances.
Click on the links below to read our articles to help you succeed with the Music Aptitude Test & Scholarship:
Should I Prepare for the Music Aptitude Test?
How To Succeed at the Music Aptitude Test
Download Training Test Materials
1-to-1 Music Aptitude Test and Scholarship training is available with Mirna at the SE22 Piano School in London. Visit our booking page to select an appointment: