Here is a list of schools using a Music Aptitude Test for selective school entry. Please check the exact criteria for each school as we do not guarantee that their tests are exactly in line with the specimen questions that we use. We do our best to keep this page up to date but occasionally information supplied may be out of date. Please advise us of any schools that are no longer offering the MAT criteria for intake.
If a date appears after the school’s name, this states the date which you must return the supplementary form for application under the Musical Aptitude criteria. Many of the links below take you straight through to the relevant page with a listing for the supplementary form.
- Ashmole Academy 24th May 2013 – uses an enhanced MAT. Our test only covers 2 of 6 sections.
- Bushey Meads School
- Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School
- Chelsea Academy
- Dame Alice Owen
- Haberdashers’ Aske’s / Prendergast Hilly Fields / Crayford Academy
- Highgate School
- Langley Grammar School
- Leventhorpe / The Bishop’s Stortford High School / The Hertfordshire & Essex High School
- Parmiter’s School
- Queens’ School (Bushey)
- Rickmansworth School
- South West Herts School consortium
- St Anne’s Catholic School, Southampton
- St Clement Danes
- St Paul’s Way Trust School
- The Hertfordshire & Essex High School and Science College
- Uxbridge High School
- Watford Grammar School for Boys
- Watford Grammar School for Girls
- William Ellis School
- Wymondham College
Other schools using a variation of the MAT (see footnote):
- Hockerill Anglo-European College, Herts*
- Chancellor’s School*
- Mill Hill County High School (see here for sample tests)
*Please note that information on the exact test used by these school is not known by us so we cannot be sure it uses the same format as the other schools listed above. The Chancellor’s test outline is available online but it is a much smaller test of 3 sections and 19 questions following a similar format.
Here are various web sites where parents discuss the Music Aptitude Test process:
Get the Right School – What is the Music Aptitude Test? (Recommended reading, this guide is very useful)
Kingsdale Foundation School & West London Free School – Please note that these schools use a Music Aptitude Test for entry but it is not the same as the schools listed above. WLFS use a vocal test. I believe that Kingsdale individually interview all applicants applying under the Music Scholarship criteria.